About This Team:
The Digital Lighting Networks division of Acuity Brands leads the industry in state-of-the-art lighting controls, building networking technologies, and advanced indoor and outdoor sensor nodes. Our devices and systems allow Acuity Brands to provide the most advanced system of connected devices on the market today. The products our team create enable customers to manage and control their systems from as granular as individual light fixtures in every room to viewing energy usage, occupancy, schedules, and light levels campus wide and farther. Our advanced wireless controls use cutting edge techniques to create indoor positioning systems that allow high accuracy tracking of individual assets and personnel. Innovative techniques use precision metrology and sensors to allow our customers to reduce energy consumption and exceed energy efficiency targets.
The Hardware group of The Digital Lighting Networks team is responsible for the electronic, mechanical, and system level design for every new Control and product the organization releases. We work closely with a cross-functional team of firmware, software, and system quality engineers to ensure success and quality that always exceed industry standards. Our vertically integrated manufacturing facilities allow us to design for mass production from day one, with continuous feedback and rapid prototyping, leveraging dedicated internal production lines.
About This Role:
The Electronics Design Engineer is a critical part of the Digital Lighting Networks Hardware Engineering team whose primary focus is to develop new-to-market products and solutions. The ideal candidate will have a broad base of knowledge that includes digital and analog circuit design, sensor integration, power electronics, RF design, networked devices, and regulatory requirements of industrial and consumer products. The Senior Electronics Design Engineer takes a leading role and ownership of a project by helping define product requirements, designing and creating new schematics and PCBs, coordinating regulatory and validation testing, interfacing directly with manufacturing, and working with cross-functional teams to turn ideas into mass produced products.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Design, simulate, prototype, and test new products
- Lead shared PCB layout resources to turn schematic designs into complete PCBAs
- Work to develop new products from initial concept to mass production
- Validate those new designs meet internal, regulatory, and product specific requirements and standards
- Interface with entities inside and outside of Acuity such as manufacturing, regulatory bodies, test facilities, partner companies, component vendors, etc.
- Own a project from start to finish, coordinating with cross-functional teams
- Assist other team members by participating in designs reviews
- Support VAVE and Sustaining engineering teams
- Support manufacturing partners with both pilot runs and existing production
- 0-2 years relevant experience in new product design and development
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Electronics, Computer Engineering or equivalent. (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Experience with circuit simulation and PCB modeling tools
- Experience with schematic and PCB CAD tools (Altium preferred)
- Experience using test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, logic analyzers, power meters, spectrum analyzers, benchtop power supplies etc.
- Experience with failure analysis and troubleshooting
- Experience in the following areas preferred:
- AC-DC Power supply design
- Wireless and wired communications
- High-speed digital circuit design
- RF circuit design
- PCB layout and design techniques
- Robust product design techniques (EMI, surge, outdoor, harsh environment)
- Able to work independently and multitask efficiently
- Able to manage project timelines and dates effectively
- Excellent communication skills