A Press Officer for the City of Pittsburgh works with their assigned departments to implement strategic communications plans, works with the Press Secretary to respond to local media inquiries, and manages social media for their portfolio of assigned departments
Department: Mayor’s Office
- WORK EXPERIENCE: The application must clearly show one (1) to three (3) years of full-time experience in communications, marketing, PR, social media, or equivalent work experience.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: The application must clearly show a Bachelor’s Degree from a fully accredited institution in Communications, Marketing, or a related field. GISP Certification preferred.
- Coordinates with the Press Secretary to develop, manage, and organize communications deliverables for assigned departments.
- Writes press releases, talking points, and assists with organizing press events.
- Updates the official website; and manages departmental social media accounts.
- Works with the Press Secretary to respond to local media inquiries related to their assigned departments.
- Compiles local and national news articles daily about their assigned departments for the daily Press Secretary Report.
- Maintains a record of media stories about their assigned departments.
- Represents the Office of the Mayor and the City of Pittsburgh appropriately in public and on social media.
- Works with the Press Secretary and the Department Directors to determine the best way to communicate the work of their assigned departments;
- Performs other related tasks and duties as assigned or required.