The Proposal Writer is a critical role at Zeiders Enterprises, Inc. The Proposal Writer works as a full-time employee in the Woodbridge Office and remotely as needed to respond to Government Contracting Solicitations. This individual works as part of the Business Development (BD) Team to develop successful proposals for future work consistent with the overall company strategy.
With a demonstrated ability to convey complex technical and management information in clear, compelling, persuasive and compliant responses to Government solicitations, the proposal writer is a detail-oriented team player that possesses strong organizational and decision-making skills; exercises judgment and discretion in prioritizing conflicting needs; attends to matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to successful completion. The proposal writer has a bias for action. This position requires an ability to work under pressure while meeting demanding deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research and analysis to support Capture, Preproposal, and Proposal activities.
- Conduct research and support preparation of White Papers and responses to Government Requests for Proposal (RFPs), Requests for Quotes (RFQs), Requests for Information (RFIs), and Sources Sought (SS) announcements.
- Work with Subject Matter Experts to convey complex technical solutions into clear and concise technical volumes within challenging page limitations.
- Conduct research on existing and prospective opportunities, competitor activity, and market trends/opportunities.
- Develop compliant and credible Past Performance boilerplates and manages inventory.
- Review the proposal requirements and gather and analyze data to determine solutions for issues or questions and then make recommendations to BD Team based on findings.
- Support the Business Development Director in developing proposal structure such as proposal plans, schedules, outlines, and compliance matrices.
- Assembling and reviewing the efforts of internal and external proposal contributors.
- Major proposal support areas include technical response and past performance, with activities including interviewing SMEs, creating new text, and tailoring existing information to meet RFP requirements.
- Work with Key Personnel to develop compliant and concise resumes to meet or exceed solicitation requirements.
- Reviewing and editing of proposal sections, adhering to proposal schedules, working with other proposal and review team members, preparing documentation for formal reviews, and responding to direction from the BD Director.
Writing Proposal Content
- Perform writing assignments as required including, but not limited to the proposal content of the Executive Summary, Technical and Management Approach, Past Performance Descriptions and other correspondence on behalf of the company.
- Interviewing subject matter experts and revising/rewriting draft material provided by technical and other sources.
- Re-write/edit proposal responses from a variety of stakeholders, typically involving contributions from delivery contracts, subcontractor teammates, and pricing narrative.
- Prepares questions for submission to the client.
- Organize and maintain proposal documentation.
- Identify, write, and transmit proposal lessons learned.
- Prepare response to customer questions and support fact finding.
- Attend customer debriefings.
Other Department Activities
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data and statistics using quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Lead storyboard sessions with proposal team members and key stakeholders.
- Assist with the production of large documents and presentations, including content formatting and technical editing.
- Actively participate in BD Monthly updates, capture/proposal process meetings, and weekly team meetings.
- Give presentations as assigned.
- Coordinate and update knowledge base system in SharePoint.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Required Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Individual must have a minimum of two years college education preferably in Journalism, Communications, English, or related fields AND a minimum of five years related experience OR Baccalaureate degree preferably in Journalism, Communications, English, or related fields AND a minimum of three years of related experience.
- 3+ years of technical proposal writing experience in response to Federal Government RFPs, RFIs, and an understanding of the Shipley or similar methodologies.
- Successful experience proof reading, technical editing, and revising own work and that of others with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively communicate with senior level leaders.
- Demonstrated time management, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated experience successfully working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint; and Online Help Tools.
Preferred Experience and Certifications
- Military experience a plus.
- Member of Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP).
Other Skills and Abilities
This position requires U.S. Citizenship, and you will need to complete and clear a full background check process based on your role.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Works in office areas. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during working hours. Uses personal computer, telephones, copiers, printers and other office equipment, and lift and move up to 10 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Zeiders Enterprises, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer